Thursday, January 12, 2012

U never forget...

When I got married over 2 years ago, my wife and I always talked about dogs way before even thinking about kids. Not that we don't like kids but that's just not on our mind and dogs are as you know dogs. You cant but love’em and we couldn't wait to have one. In the month of October I think, I got in touch with a friend of mine with the prospect of bringing a dog home. Had already talked to mum about it and she wanted to see where it would go. On finding a candidate, we got a call to come see a lab pup. We jumped at the chance and drove all the way to Dhaid to go see this motu (ie fat) little guy that just blew us away from the moment he was put in his to be new mothers lap.












Names had already started flying around and Swati said that he had to have a Bollywood villain name…hence Mogambo, Bheem Singh & Gabbar were the final 3 choices, obviously Gabbar won.

Being too young to come home, we anxiously waited for Gabbar to get to 8 weeks and finally got to pick him and drive him home. I don't think I have ever heard a pup cry so much. Swats couldn't take but we managed and got him home safe and sound. Both of us still remember him trying to figure out where he was and who were these this husband and wife who could do nothing else but stare at him in amazement. I could never forget that night. Both Swati and I sleeping downstairs on the sofas and regularly waking up in the middle of the night to play with this duffer until he got tired and dozed off. This was definitely Gabbar’s passion…sleeping. The amount of photos Swati got of him sleeping everywhere around the house in the most awkward positions is just baffling but hey…it’s all good.









There are just so many moments with this stupid boy that spring to mind every time I think of him. His first bath, which was one crazy job as he just wouldn't stay still and of course being a pup, he just hated the water.


I never forget taking out in to the garden to play and he would just never listen to me. Its like he new what to do to tick me and then he’d just run as if he was laughing at my face….lulloo!

Everyone fell in love with this chubby lab…even my mom. Chilling on his beanbag in the kitchen he would either be playing with his toys, tussling with me playing tug of war or chewing on ice. Swati used to love to photo him and I think there being only a couple of photos of him with Swati (one regret I have till this day).

Gabbar was special to my family and me but I don't think I can put in words what he meant to my wife. Losing him 3 months in to 2011 was probably the hardest thing we went through as a couple and to this day, he lingers in our mind and our thoughts. I’m not writing this post for me; it’s for Swati to read and fondly remember the closest thing we had to a son.

I always tell her that no matter what, one day Gabbar will re-enter our lives in one way or another and I stand by that. I miss you Gabbar, but Swati misses you like you won’t believe.


4 comments:

  1. You have no idea what this post means to me. I love you so much.
    And yes...I miss him every single day.
    I'm sure he's in a happy place. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me tear up :( The only thing that consoles me is knowing I gave my angel the best and happiest life, he was really spoilt rotten and esp. since it was Goa, I know he wouldn't have had the life he had if we hadn't rescued and adopted him. Even if he had a short life, I know it was a happy one.. even though we're left with the sadness of missing that happy angel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what happened to him?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss him. Made me sad.

    ReplyDelete